Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Pill

Hey guys! It’s been a while. Classes are pretty tough this semester, like I expected they would be. But I got some time this afternoon, so I thought I’d write another post. This time, I want to tell you a little bit about the second most popular form of birth control teens use, behind condoms. That’s the birth control pill. I’m sure most if not all of you have heard of it before, usually just called “the pill.” It’s pretty much exactly what it sounds like: it’s a pill that a girl takes every day to prevent pregnancy. What it does is release a combination of hormones that prevent ovulation. No ovulation means no egg to be fertilized means no pregnancy, simple as that. But it’s not quite so simple. Here are some things to keep in mind with the birth control pill:
You have to take it EVERY DAY at the SAME TIME or it won’t work. Pills come in 28-day packs and 21-day packs. With the 21-day, the seven days you don’t take a pill are for your period. With the 28-day, seven of the pills don’t actually do anything - those are for you to take while you’re on your period. I highly recommend getting the 28 day pack so you don’t forget to start back up taking the real pills after your period is over. Because the absolute most important thing with birth control pills is that you TAKE IT EVERY DAY.
The pill doesn’t start working reliably for the first seven days of taking it. So you should definitely use another form of birth control, like a condom, during this time. Technically. But personally I think you should continue to use a condom EVERY TIME even when you’re on the pill and have been for a while. The pill does NOT protect against STDs, and condoms do. So unless you’re absolutely positive your partner is clean, use a condom too. Frankly, I’d say use one even if you know he’s clean, because two forms of birth control are better than one.

Here’s another thing - unlike condoms, birth control has to be perscribed by a doctor. So yes, you can’t just buy it online so no one will find out. But your doctor is required to keep it secret that you got birth control if you ask her to. So don’t not get it because you’re worried about someone finding out. Don’t let that stop you. Birth control is important and if you want to use the pill, get it.

I think that’s all I have to say for now. These are just some basic facts about the pill and how it works; if you want more detailed information ask your doctor. Like I’ve said before, I’m not a doctor, I’m just trying to give some basic information to kids who need it. Here’s one last tip about birth control - it’s kind of expensive, so if you’re in a relationship and only having sex with one guy, ask him to pay for half of it. It’s not so bad if two people are splitting the cost. You definitely don’t want to opt against birth control for financial reasons, because believe me, a baby is way more expensive than the pill.

No comments:

Post a Comment