Friday, March 4, 2011

More Spermicide

Sorry it’s been so long since last time! I know I promised you a part two to the post about spermicidal inserts last time, so I bet you were expecting that a little earlier than now, perhaps. I just got swamped with work for the past few weeks, but I’ve finally got a break now.
Anyways, I told you there were a couple more spermicidal methods, and I want to cover those now. Sorry if the information is going to be a little sparse, but I really don’t know a whole lot about these methods because I’m not a huge fan of them. They’re great if you use them in conjunction with a condom and the pill, but by themselves, not so much. Let me say that again - I do not recommend using one of these methods alone.

The first are just called spermicidal inserts. They’re vaginal suppositories, so they’re pretty easy to use: just insert them prior to sex for added protection. The keyword is added - you should definitely only use these with a condom or diaphragm. But even so, I don’t think this is a great product. As you can see, it doesn’t even have the greatest reviews on the website. So if you’re dead set on using these, go ahead, just make sure you don’t use them alone. But otherwise, I’d say use something else.

This second one is Vaginal Contraceptive Jelly. It’s basically the same deal as the inserts - it’s just a spermicidal substance, the only difference is it doesn’t have to dissolve first to work. It’s also a lot harder to use by itself. I recommend this over the spermicidal inserts, not because I think it works better or is safer by itself, but because it’s harder to use by itself. You can’t just apply jelly like this to the inside of the vagina - not well, anyways. You can, however, spread it on a condom rather easily. So I’m all for using this with a condom for extra protection. Just remember, the keyword is extra, because that’s all products like these should ever be!

I think that just about covers the main spermicidal methods of protection. So that means there’ll be something new next time. And I’ll try not to keep you waiting so long this time! Sorry again!

1 comment: